Saturday 10 February 2007

Planning

The first part of this blog looks at the past as I have already started part of the journey but I feel it's good to mention how I started out. Originally the plan was to start the Thames Path at the source near Kemble, Gloucestershire ending the journey with a wonderful view of Thames meeting the sea. To get the journey rolling my wife and I thought it would be a good idea to spend the weekend away at a nice B&B and cover 20+ miles over that time period. Then we had some wonderful news; my wife was pregnant. This meant that she would get tired easily for the first trimester so we deiced to start closer to home in case we needed to get home for a nap! It also turns out that the Tames Path doesn't end/start where the Thames meets the sea but at the Thames Barrier.

Before out news we bought a guide book called "The Thames Path" by David Sharp. His book starts at the source. It's full of useful information and history but there is one slight problem with the book for our purpose and that is the route in it is now all backwards for us!

However I found a great website which can be found at www.thames-path.org.uk which fortunatley for us starts at the Thames Barrier. Hopeful I won't be replicating too much of what I've found/find on the website in this blog but brining a different perspective and finding new things.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You could try my book The Thames Path published by Cicerone. It starts at the Barrier and ends at Kemble.

See also www.thamespath.org.uk

Leigh Hatts


Thames Barrier